Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Clarifying the Name thing

It has come to my attention that I've confused some of you. Am I Carol Ann or Carol? Carol Robbins, as in my pen name, or Carol Camp, (my first married name and the name of my biological sons and three grandchildren,) or Carol Hull, my subsequent married name and the name of my step-sons and three more grandchildren?)

On July 23, 2013 I participated in a class "Blogging for Beginners." on the third day of the class I had to name my blog, and give the name I'd be writing as author. I hold all of my names through the years in deep affection. All have been important to me, and each one fit at the time. 

The following is from the blog that I wrote on July 28, 2013. My reasoning remains the same today.

"My parents gave me the name Carol Ann Robbins at birth and, as was the tradition in the South at the time, I was always called the double name, Carol Ann. However as a teenager I thought it would be more sophisticated to drop the Ann, so when we moved to Montgomery and I began a new high school, I told teachers and new friends that I did not use my middle name. When I married I became Carol Robbins Camp, and signed all art I produced in that name. After many years I was divorced, but kept my married name. After several years I remarried and became Carol Robbins Hull. Subsequent art was produced under that name, but the question of how to make known that the work under different names arises often. In preparing to publish my first book, I have decided that I will publish it, and any future writing, under the only name that has been constant for me, Carol Robbins."

As to the blog - well I've been awful at keeping it going. Some of the entries from the first year or two are some of my favorites if you'd like to take a look at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment